Senior Piano Solo Competition
Open to pianists born on or after 1st September 1989
- Grand Prize: £2,000
- Runner Up Prize : £750
- 2 other finalists : £250 each
Application Stage (applications accepted October 1st 2015-January 15th, 2016 at 6pm).
Applicants must submit an unedited recording of solo piano repertoire not exceeding 10 minutes.
A maximum of fifteen pianists will be selected for the preliminary stage.
Preliminary Stage (to be held May 1st, 2016).
A programme of solo piano music not exceeding 15 minutes, to include:
- A movement from a classical piano sonata by Haydn, Clementi, Mozart, Beethoven or Schubert
- A study by Chopin, Liszt, Debussy, Scriabin, Rachmaninov, Ligeti, Kapustin, or Dusapin.
Four pianists will be admitted to the final stage.
Final Stage (to be held May 2nd, 2016)
A programme of solo piano music not exceeding 25 minutes, including a work composed during or after 1946. No work performed in the Preliminary Stage may be included.
- All competitions are open to pianists of any nationality.
- Pianists can only compete in either the Junior or Senior Solo Category. However solo competitors can also compete in the accompanist category but need to pay the relevant application fees for both categories.
- The decisions of the jury are final and binding, and cannot be challenged. The competition organisers reserve the right not to award prizes or to reduce the number of competitors to appear in the final stage if the standard is not sufficiently high in the opinion of a majority of the members of the jury.
- Before the Festival commences, competitors’ names will be drawn by an independent panel to decide on the order of performance. This order will then be followed at every stage.
- Recording for Solo competitions should be a recent unedited recording and can be submitted on CD or emailed as an MP3 file. The recording should be accompanied by a letter of recommendation from the competitor’s current or most recent teacher.
- There is no need to submit a recording for the piano accompaniment category however a letter of recommendation must be submitted with the application.
- Entries will be accepted from October 1st 2015. The deadline for receiving entries and recordings is 6pm on January 15th 2016.
- Entry fees : Junior Piano Solo Competition : £30; Senior Piano Solo Competition and the Competition for Accompanists : £40. This includes entry to all festival events and concerts apart from Peter Donohoe’s recital.
- 75% of the registration fee will be refunded to competitors not admitted to the preliminary stage of the Junior and Senior Piano Solo Competition.
- Competitors selected to progress to the preliminary stage of the competitions will be informed no later than the 5th of February 2016.
- If a competitor pulls out of the competition for any reason, registration fees will not be refunded.
Providing Copies for the Jury
Each competitor is required to provide one copy of each piece to be performed for the Jury. The copies must be handed in at least one hour before competing.
With regards to photocopying music for use by Jury please note the following which has been taken from the UK Music Publishers Association: The code of Fair Practice (2012)
- Adjudicator or Examiner Copy : A person performing a work in front of an examiner or adjudicator may make one copy per examiner / adjudicator provided that the participant or candidate has already purchased his/her own copy and that the copy / copies made is/are retained and destroyed by the adjudicator(s) or examiner(s) immediately after the event.
Each copy must be marked with the following ‘Adjudicator / examiner copy. Destroy after use’
Competitors are advised that the above permission applies only to copyright holders who are Members of The Music Publishers Association listed here http://www.mpaonline.org.uk/directory or the additional copyright holders listed on the last page of the code of practice
If the publisher does not appear here you must obtain permission from the copyright owner to photocopy the music for adjudication purposes.
It is imperative that each competitor brings at least one original copy of each piece they will be performing with them to the festival (even if performing by memory) and please note that performing from a photocopy is not permitted.
How to Apply
The deadline for entries will be 6pm on January 15th, 2016. Please see Rules for additional information regarding entries.