Piano Accompaniment Competition
Piano Accompaniment Competition - no age restriction
Preliminary Stage (to be held May 1st, 2016)
Competitors must prepare one work from categories (a) and (b):
(a) A work for cello and piano chosen from the following:
- Robert Schumann: ‘Adagio and Allegro’ Op. 70
- Gabriel Fauré: ‘Sicilienne’ Op.78 and Camille Saint-Saëns: ‘Allegro Appassionato’ Op.43 - both works to be performed
- Manuel de Falla: ‘Seven Popular Spanish Songs’ arranged for cello and piano - candidates must offer a selection of contrasting movements not exceeding 8 minutes
(b) Two songs for soprano voice and piano by one composer chosen from the following:
- Robert Schumann: ‘Mondnacht’ Op.39 No.5 (Key of E major) and ‘Frühlingsnacht’ Op.39 No.12 (Key of F sharp major)
- Johannes Brahms: ‘Immer leiser’ Op.105 No.2 (Key of F minor) and ‘Ständchen’ Op.106 No.1 (Key of G major)
- Richard Strauss: ‘Allerseelen’ Op.10 No.8 (Key of E flat major) and ‘Zueignung’ Op.10 No.1 (Key of C major)
Four accompanists will be admitted to the final stage.
Final Stage (to be held May 2nd, 2016).
Competitors must prepare one work from categories (a), (b), and (c):
(a) A work for violin and piano chosen from the following:
- Ludwig van Beethoven: Sonata in F major Op.24, first movement
- Brahms: Sonata in A major Op.100, first movement
- Prokofiev: Sonata in D major Op.94, first movement
(b) One song/group of songs for baritone voice and piano by one composer chosen from the following:
- Henri Duparc: ‘Phydilé’ (Key of F sharp major)
- Sergei Rachmaninov: 'Spring Waters' (Key of D flat major) and 'Lilacs' (Key of F major)
'It was a lover' (Key of E major) and 'O Mistress Mine' (Key of E flat major)
(c) One song for baritone and piano chosen from the following list:
- Mansel Thomas: ‘Y Bardd’
- Dilys Elwyn Edwards: ‘Cloths of Heaven’
- Gareth Glyn: ‘Seithug’
Additional Information for accompanists:
Preliminary Stage - Competitors should prepare the song accompaniments for Soprano/High Voice.
Final Stage - Competitors should prepare the song accompaniments for Baritone/Medium Voice.
For any further information, please contact the Administration Office by e mail – firstname.lastname@example.org
- All competitions are open to pianists of any nationality.
- Pianists can only compete in either the Junior or Senior Solo Category. However solo competitors can also compete in the accompanist category but need to pay the relevant application fees for both categories.
- The decisions of the jury are final and binding, and cannot be challenged. The competition organisers reserve the right not to award prizes or to reduce the number of competitors to appear in the final stage if the standard is not sufficiently high in the opinion of a majority of the members of the jury.
- Before the Festival commences, competitors’ names will be drawn by an independent panel to decide on the order of performance. This order will then be followed at every stage.
- Recording for Solo competitions should be a recent unedited recording and can be submitted on CD or emailed as an MP3 file. The recording should be accompanied by a letter of recommendation from the competitor’s current or most recent teacher.
- There is no need to submit a recording for the piano accompaniment category however a letter of recommendation must be submitted with the application.
- Entries will be accepted from October 1st 2015. The deadline for receiving entries and recordings is 6pm on January 15th 2016.
- Entry fees : Junior Piano Solo Competition : £30; Senior Piano Solo Competition and the Competition for Accompanists : £40. This includes entry to all festival events and concerts apart from Peter Donohoe’s recital.
- 75% of the registration fee will be refunded to competitors not admitted to the preliminary stage of the Junior and Senior Piano Solo Competition.
- Competitors selected to progress to the preliminary stage of the competitions will be informed no later than the 5th of February 2016.
- If a competitor pulls out of the competition for any reason, registration fees will not be refunded.
- 1st : £1,250
- 2nd : £500
- 2 other finalists : £100 each
How to Apply
The deadline for entries will be 6pm on January 15th, 2016. Please see Rules for additional information regarding entries.